18 December 2012

2013=365 Days of Letters

I have recently been tossing around an idea. It's kind of crazy, and it will take a lot of work and dedication. But it's 2012 and the primary way people contact each other is via social media, email, or texting. Sometimes even calling someone seems too much, like we are all "that" busy. I am a writer, and I personally love receiving notes and letters, whether it's in the mail, or a note on my bathroom mirror. My idea is, in 2013, to write 365 letters. Some to friends, some to family members, some to strangers. Maybe someone at a local nursing home doesn't receive any mail and would be uplifted to receive a note, or maybe the homeless guy on the corner would love to receive a note on top of a $5 bill, or maybe a lonely soldier overseas who doesn't have friends or family would appreciate a written note. I am not saying that people are going to jump up and down to get a letter from me, someone they don't know, because I know I am no more special than anyone else on this planet. But I do know that the loss of the written word is tragic and I know the affect of receiving a letter in the mail can have.

This is going to be a lot of work doing research, gathering addresses, finding worthy people/causes to write to, and to be honest, I don't even know what I would write. I guess therein lies the challenge. But I am up for it and I think it would not only make a difference in at least one person's life, but primarily, my own.

0 comments:

 
Made by Lena