I hate when people post inspirational/motivational squares on FB. You know those squares? Those little boxes that have sunsets with expressions like "don't give up on your dreams" or "the man of your dreams will come when you're not looking"? You know that kind of shit?
Well, I normally scroll right past it, mumbling something about "get a life" or "no one cares", but someone posted these 7 Simple Rules and I could not scroll past. The words jumped out at me like that naked guy from the trunk in the movie The Hangover, and I was surprised by how "ballsy" some of these rules were (#2 and #7 particularly). They are inspirational without being corny and motivational without being sappy.
I cannot take credit for writing these, although I did tweak them ever so slightly.
1. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up your present.
2. What others think of you is none of your business.
3. Time heals everything, so give everything time.
4. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey entails; only your own.
5. Stop thinking too much. It's okay not to know all the answers. They will come to you when you least expect.
6. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
7. Smile. You don't own all the problems in the world.
I particularly like #1, #2, and #7. We all hold grudges, we all care what others think, and we all think our problems are the worst. But it's okay to let go, it's okay not to care, and it's okay to realize it could always be worse.
I'm not saying I live my life according to these rules, but if a particular situation arises, I try my hardest to not care what others think, or not harbor old grudges, or compare my situation to others. It's a trying process, one that's taken me years and I'm still working on it. I'm not perfect; but maybe one day I will be. J/K.
Completely unrelated, but mother effing ridiculous, my WTF moment of the week is brought to you by this family:
Honestly, what were they thinking?